- June 16, 2021
APARTMENT WATER LEAKS– Owner communication
GAS BOILER WATER OVERFLOW
- There is a water overflow pipe on every gas boiler – usually situated above or below the boiler exhaust pipe. The usual cause of an overflow is a faulty pressure control valve in the boiler which is visible from a small metal pipe on the outside wall of the apartment resulting in brown staining on the wall.
- Owners / residents should use an approved gas boiler service technician to correct the fault in the boiler.
COLD WATER TANK OR TOILET CISTERN OVERFLOW
- There is an overflow pipe on all cold water storage tanks in apartments – usually a plastic pipe situated below the soffit in top floor apartments or through the exterior wall on lower apartments. The usual cause is a faulty ball valve in the cold water tank.
- Some toilet cisterns, without an internal bowl overflow system, have an overflow pipe through the exterior wall of the apartment. The usual cause is a faulty ball valve in the toilet cistern.
- Owners / residents should contact a plumber to fix / replace faulty ball valve.
SHOWERS / BATHS / SINK LEAKS
- The seals, to prevent water leaks, usually perish over time which cause water leakage, particularly while showering, and affects the floor below and can & does cause ceiling damage to rooms or apartments below the bathroom.
- Tiles in shower locations are prone to water leaks if the tile grout becomes perished or falls out.
- Owners / residents should check tile grout and silicone seals and have repairs carried out by a competent repair person as necessary.
- Any leaks noted (eg. Taps, pipes, radiators, hot press) must be repaired immediately.
- Owners are responsible for internal apartment issues and for issues arising from their apartment affecting other apartments or the common areas, including the items listed above.
- Owners may be invoiced for damage caused to common areas where prompt action is not carried out to address damage issues.
- Owners should provide a copy, and explain this notice, to all residents and new tenants.
- INSURANCE IMPLICATIONS – As the most common insurance claims are for water damage, insurance companies increase the claims excess amount where there is a history of water damage claims. Claimants are liable for the excess which is deducted from the assessed total value of any claim.
North East Apt Mgmt.